Himalayan Gahat, also known as Kulath or Horse gram, is a type of legume that is grown and consumed in the Himalayan region of Uttarakhand. It is small and round, with a tough outer layer that requires soaking and cooking to make it edible. This pulse is packed with health benefits and is a great choice for vegetarians and health-conscious individuals who are looking to add a little something special to their diet.
Source/Origin- Himalayan Gahat (Kulath / Horse gram) harvested from high altitude area of Uttarakhand.
Health Benefits of Himalayan Gahat
- High in protein: The Himalayan Gahat is a fantastic source of protein, with almost 22 grams of protein in every 100 grams of the pulse. This makes it a great choice for vegans and vegetarians who may struggle to get enough protein in their diets.
- Rich in dietary fiber: The Himalayan Gahat is also packed with dietary fiber, with over 5 grams in every 100 grams of the pulse. This means that it can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer, which is great if you’re trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- Loaded with essential nutrients: The Himalayan Gahat is also a great source of essential minerals such as iron, potassium, and calcium. These nutrients are crucial for maintaining healthy bones, muscles, and organs.
Himalayan Gahat in the Kitchen
- Versatile ingredient: The Himalayan Gahat is an extremely versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, including soups, stews, curries, and salads. Its nutty flavor also makes it an excellent substitute for other beans or lentils.
- Easy to cook: The Himalayan Gahat is quick and easy to cook, making it a great choice for busy weeknights. Simply soak the pulses overnight and then cook them in boiling water until they are tender.
- Great for weight loss: If you’re trying to lose weight, the Himalayan Gahat could be your new best friend. Its high fiber content can help keep you feeling full for longer, which means you’re less likely to overeat or snack between meals.