Barnyard Millet Rice: A Nutritious Alternative to Traditional Rice


Many millennials in India are embracing the healthy food movement and showing greater awareness of their food choices. They are taking into account how their consumption patterns affect their health and the environment. Among the traditional grains, millets have made a comeback in many households due to their numerous benefits, winning the hearts of this smart generation. Barnyard millet, a highly nutritious and versatile coarse grain, has gained popularity as a popular cereal due to its abundance and nutritional value.

The Barnyard Millet, also known as Jhangora (Sanwa rice), is renowned for its high levels of protein, calcium, iron, minerals, and vitamin B complex. With low carbohydrate content and being gluten-free, it is a perfect choice for those with gluten allergies, type II diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. Among all varieties of millets, the Barnyard Millet has the lowest carbohydrate content, highest energy value, and is therefore a popular choice for the health-conscious millennial generation. When cooked, it tastes similar to broken rice and serves as a nutritious substitute for rice. It is recommended to prepare millets in the form of porridge to obtain maximum nutrients from this amazing grain.

Health Benefits of Barnyard Millet Rice

  1. Low in Calories

Barnyard millet provides a rich source of easily digestible protein, while also being the least calorie-dense among all cereals. Its consumption can leave one feeling light and energized, thanks to its grain-like qualities. In fact, just a serving of 25g of raw barnyard millets contains 75 calories and 1.5g of protein.

  1. Rich in Fiber

This food is an exceptional source of dietary fiber, containing a substantial quantity of both soluble and insoluble fractions. In fact, it has the highest fiber content of all grains and millets, with a single serving providing 2.4 grams of fiber. Barnyard millet, specifically, contains a significant amount of dietary fiber, with a high content of both soluble (4.2%) and insoluble (8.4%) fractions, amounting to a total fiber content of 12.6%. This abundance of fiber assists in preventing constipation, excess gas, bloating, and cramping.

  1. Low Glycemic Index

Barnyard millet has a low carbohydrate content and is slowly digestible, resulting in a low glycemic index. The carbohydrates present in millet undergo retrogradation of amylase, leading to the formation of larger amounts of resistant starch. As a result, it may be a suitable food choice for individuals with diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease. Consequently, in current times, this millet is considered an ideal food for people with diabetes.

Feeding diabetics with barnyard millets for a week can lower their blood sugar levels. Barnyard millets were found to enhance carbohydrate tolerance in both diabetic and non-diabetic participants, as evidenced by a significant decrease in fasting plasma glucose levels.

  1. Gluten-Free Food

Similar to all millets, barnyard millet does not contain gluten. Therefore, it is a suitable food option for individuals who are gluten intolerant, such as those with celiac disease, or for those who prefer a gluten-free lifestyle, avoiding foods made from wheat, barley, and rye. With its easy availability, fast cooking time, and pleasant taste, barnyard millet is an excellent wholesome substitute for rice, wheat, and other less accessible millets.

  1. Good Source of Iron

Based on the nutrient analysis of millets, it has been found that certain types of barnyard millet are rich in iron content (18.6 mg per 100g of raw millet), making it the most iron-rich among all millets and cereal grains. Therefore, barnyard millet can serve as a valuable source of iron for individuals who follow a vegetarian diet.

Back to blog